Something bad has happened
Salmon Wrapped in Phyllo with Cream Cheese and Pesto
For a truly special occasion, try this delectable salmon baked in a crispy layered pastry crust.
- 12 sheets Safeway SELECT phyllo dough, thawed if frozen
- 6 tablespoons melted Lucerne Sweet Cream Butter, or butter-flavored cooking oil spray
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) center-cut salmon fillet (not wider than 5 in.), skinned
- 6 ounces Lucerne Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto with dried tomatoes or Safeway SELECT Classic Pesto
- Lemon wedges
Layer phyllo sheets on a baking sheet, brushing each phyllo sheet lightly with melted butter, or coating with butter-flavored cooking oil spray.
Lay the salmon fillet down length of dough 1 inch from a long edge. Spread cream cheese evenly over the salmon, then spread pesto evenly over cheese.
Fold the 1 inch of dough over salmon and trim excess dough at the narrow ends of the fish with scissors, moistening phyllo with butter so that it sticks to fish.
Fold the other half of the phyllo over the salmon and trim ends again to fit fish. Turn the phyllo-wrapped fish over; brush with butter or coat with cooking oil spray. Slice the phyllo-wrapped fish into 6 equal pieces; leave in place on pan.
Bake in a 400 degrees F oven until phyllo is golden and fish is barely opaque in thickest part (cut to test), about 20 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate. Add salt and lemon to taste.